Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yesterday's commute

I haven't stopped taking pictures of the commute; I've just stopped posting so many. Going through the harbor out to Lantau is the most beautiful part of my day, especially in the past week when the air has cleared up. Partly it was the rains starting that washed the sky, knocking the particulates and leaving drops shimmering. Partly it's the run-up to the Olympics. I read in the paper that Beijing just issued a cleanup deadline for a bunch of factories that must shut down or cut output by July 20th, but rumors are that more factories than those covered by this announcement are being shut in the Pearl River Delta to clean up the air.


Whatever the explanation, the air tastes good and the light is beautiful. After nightfall I can see the glow of Central in the sky from my window, the lights of Pok Fu Lam, the darker outlying islands and the glow of ferries on a misty sea that slide across the water like a hand gentling across a bare back.


3 comments:

JM Vigil said...

Beautiful, love the light shimmering off the buildings.

Shabby Chic Fabrications said...

hi-i would love to see more of your commute photoe. i'm from hk but have not lived there for many years. recently came back for a visit and was horrified by how polluted the city has become. keep up your great posts-you've got a nostalgic hong kong'er here dreaming of tall buildings and all that street food! (i live in historic rome now, what a difference from hk!)

Loïc BROHARD said...

Hi rachel, I am glad I found this blog via Paris Daily Photo. Fine blog (I still have to create a blog roll on mine !) Loic
http://brohardphotography.blogspot.com
http://www.photo.net/photos/Loic Brohard