Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Phlower Phair Photos

A few years ago, I was entrusted with the filing box of my great grandmother's photo albums. There's a box of loose photos that have lots of my grandpa as a little kid. I can pick him out in an instant even in group shots and he looks like a kid you wouldn't want to have in class.
But most of the photo albums don't have pictures of people in them. There are page after yellowed, sticky page of photos of deer, cars and Disneyland, but the biggest collection of pictures is dedicated to Polaroids of orchid shows.
Here's me telling an enthusiastic Granite about that at the Hong Kong Flower Show:It was packed and steamy in the March sunshine, people and cameras. Thousands of people crowded around each stand of flowers, taking pictures of topiaries, flower arrangements, pots of orchids, garden designs and flower beds. Some were using cell-phones and some were using professional-grade, huge-lensed cameras with tripods. My favorites were the the people taking the pictures of pansies as if they were the most exotic thing in the world.I tortured the kids for several hours looking at orchids. I bought a pitcher plant, a hanging orchid and some air plants. It would have been harder to stop shopping if it weren't for the fact that I had basically no money. Lots of the orchids were $20 HK each, which is less than $3 US! The most frustrating thing is that the four orchids I already have at home keep putting out new buds while I keep waiting for them to die back so I can buy some more.

No comments: