Sunday, December 2, 2007

No Pumpkin!

I spent all day Saturday on a quest for canned pumpkin and stuffing mix. The kids and I went to four grocery stores, pushed our way through the crowds on the busiest pedestrian intersection in the world, wandered through the nine floors of the Japanese department store to find the food court and jumped off the tram on the way home when we saw another store. That was in addition to our local Park 'n Shop (that even has mincemeat mix for your Christmas tarts,) but there was no pumpkin. It made me feel so much happier not being able to find it. Now I have to make do. Now I have to do without. Now it's so much more exotic and so much more of a struggle to have a belated Thanksgiving dinner with no pumpkin.

Sure, I did find the stuffing mix. Yes, there's gravy mix. Yep, and sweet potatoes. And fresh Ocean Spray cranberries in a bag with a recipe on the side. Not to mention spices labeled in jars and brown sugar. But there is no pumpkin and so I can feel like an adventurer again.

The house is clean, the table laid out and the turkey is sizzling. (It's a Butterball from America.) I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving, too.

No comments: